Most of us are visual learners. We learn through images, diagrams and other visual aids. We construct visual images to help us learn better and remember more. But visual learning is mostly left in the classroom. It is one of the lesser known personality development tips. Visualization is a powerful tool that can help you not only in achieving your goals but getting clarity on your goals and the direction your life is headed in. In this article, we’ll teach you how to visualize what you want.
What is Visualization?
Visualization is the process where one creates a mental picture in their mind. This mental picture can be anything – visualizing a future after graduation, your ideal job. Visualizing is usually recommended as warm up exercise to goal setting.
How Does Visualization Affect Your Personality
Personality development experts recommend visualization as one of their top personality development tips. Learning how to visualize what you want, lets you set clearer, more precise goals. It helps you build a stronger personality and improve your problem solving skills. Visualization can help you become a more successful, fulfilled person. Moreover, it fires up your neural system so you feel like your body feels like you are actually doing the task. Read on to learn how to visualize what you want.
How to do Visualization
- Setting the Environment: Before beginning the process of visualization, the environment needs to be perfect. Choose a quiet place with minimal distractions where you can easily think about how visualize what you want. The place should be comfortable, correctly lit. Put your mobile on silent and make sure that you won’t be disturbed.
- Relax: Tension impedes the brain’s ability to think clearly and purposefully. Relaxing is key to better visualization. Meditation or breathing exercises can be a good way to warm up and relax before visualization. Take long, deep breathes until you feel calm and relaxed.
- Add Details: the big picture isn’t enough. The devil is in the details and the more details, the more successful the visualization process will be. Add as many details as you can. For example, if you’re visualizing pitching a product to potential investors, visualize what you will say and how will you say it. Visualize even the clothes you’ll, the questions the investors will have etc. Elicit your five senses: what will you be hearing or seeing? What will you be smelling? All these details will help the visualization come to life. Making the picture come alive is very important in learning how to visualize what you want.
- Practice makes perfect: In learning how to visualize what you want, you will need to practice often. Successful visualizing can only happen with practice. Set aside a part of your day and try to practice visualization for at least ten minutes daily.
- Once more, with feeling: Visualization works best if there are emotions involved. Emotions do not only help bring the experience to life but they elicit a physiological response and start up brain activity. Emotions are very important in successful visualization. Generate a sense of excitement so dopamine is released thus stimulating brain activity.
The Uses of Visualization
Visualization can be used in a variety of ways. It can used for run-throughs. For example, visualizing how an important meeting will proceed, what questions may be thrown your way. It acts as a powerful motivator in helping you achieve your goals. It is a tool for achieving success in life and in the workplace.
Learning how to visualize what you want, is one of the most integral personality development tips. A diverse variety of people – from athletes to entrepreneurs to models – all use visualization and credit to their professional success. If it used correctly, it can vastly improve the quality of your life and even improve your health.